It was the highest speed limit allowed in the United States between 1974 and 1986. So slow!
It is the largest Fibonacci number to also be a triangular number. Whatever that means!
Most importantly it’s the cost to prescribe reading and provide new books to a child from 6 months to 5 years old.
$55! That’s all!
Reach Out and Read Colorado does just that.
Reach Out and Read prepares Colorado’s youngest children to succeed in school by partnering with doctors to prescribe books and encourage families to read together. Reach Out and Read trains doctors and nurses to advise parents about the importance of reading aloud and to give books to children at pediatric checkups from 6 months to 5 years of age with a special focus on children growing up in poverty. By building on the unique relationship between parents and medical providers, Reach Out and Read helps families and communities encourage early literacy skills so children enter school prepared for success.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recently recommended “that pediatric providers advise parents of young children that reading aloud and talking about pictures and words in age-appropriate books can strengthen language skills, literacy development and parent-child relationships.” This is particularly important for bridging the education gap for kids at risk. That’s why the AAP supports Reach Out and Read.
And that’s why I’m so very proud to serve on the board.
Friends, I’m only 55 for a few more months, so here’s how I’m celebrating …
For every $5 you donate to Reach Out and Read Colorado you receive one entry to win your choice of:
A critique of the first 5-pages of your picture book, middle grade or young adult manuscript from amazing Bloomsbury New York Editor – Brett Wright
A classroom gift pack from me, which includes autographed books, coloring sheets, bookmarks, a Skype visit and more.
An autographed set of my books plus a $100 gift card to the bookseller of your choice.
Any donation, big or small, has a chance of winning!
It’s easy to enter. Here’s how:
1. Donate here: https://www.coloradogives.org/RORCO/overview
2. Forward your e-mail receipt to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. For every $5 donated you’ll receive one entry into a random number drawing for one of the prizes above.
4. Then, on September 26th at high noon (here in Colorado we like such things) Mountain Time, I’ll pick a winner!
5. If you’re my winner, I’ll e-mail you to let you know. And if you pick the critique as your prize, you’ll have 48 hours to send me your 5-pages. Then I’ll send them on to Brett. So make sure they’re polished long before 9/26. You only have one chance at a first read.
So celebrate with me and support early literacy for every child.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
P.S. And if you want to get weird, there’s always this: