Schools and Libraries
Visits and Workshops
I love visiting with readers and writers of all ages. I’m available for high-energy, interactive presentations, workshops, school visits and storytimes customized to meet your needs. For the 2020-2021 school year, my school visits will be virtual! But never fear, we’ll still have lots of learning and fun. See my Virtual Visit Programs below. To schedule a visit, please fill out my Virtual Visit Questionnaire.
LET’S SCHEDULE A VIRTUAL VISIT!
FULL-LENGTH VIRTUAL SESSIONS FOR ANY SIZE AUDIENCE ($300 per session)
Serving Up Stories: Beginner – Get ready for fun and learning as I lead students on a high-energy, interactive journey through the process of picture book creation – from dreaming up ideas through “make-a-mess” writing through storytelling art. Includes a picture book reading and Q&A if desired. (Grades K-1, 30 minutes, 45 minutes with Q&A)
Serving Up Stories: Intermediate – Here you’ll get all the facts and fun of the beginner session topped off with my Top Ten Tips for Young Writers, Poets and Artists. (40 minutes, 60 minutes with Q&A, Grades K-2, can add Grade 3)
Serving Up Stories: Advanced – Here you’ll get all the facts and fun of the Intermediate session with a short exploration of writing tools and revision on the side. (50 minutes, 60 minutes with Q&A, Grade 2-3)
Picture Books in Your Poetry Toolbox – Get ready to write! This high-energy, fast-paced workshop will introduce students to the poetry tools that will help them write better, read better, think better and dream better, using fun examples and exercises that will prove – you’re never too old for picture books. While smaller groups would allow for more personal feedback, larger groups work too! (60 minutes minimum, 75 minutes with Q&A, Grades 4-5)
VIRTUAL CLASSROOM SESSIONS: ($100 per session, $50 if combined with a full-length session)
Time Out for Classroom Q&A – Prior to your visit, and after reading a few of my books, have students develop questions about reading, writing, inspiration and more. Then, during the classroom visit, each student will get an individual minute to ask a question and chat a little. (30-45 minutes)
“What I Love Most” Classroom Critique Session – I love putting young writers and creators in the limelight. In this classroom session students will share their work – whether it’s writing, art or any creative endeavor. Then for each student, I’ll offer my 30-second “What I Love Most” critique. (30-45 minutes)
Creative Classroom Choice – I love to chat with smaller groups. Check out my free, downloadable curriculum guides or ask for my full menu of creative classroom activities to share during my individual classroom visit. (30 minutes)
ALL VIRTUAL VISITS INCLUDE AUTOGRAPHED BOOK STICKERS (MAILED TO A TEACHER, LIBRARIAN OR SCHOOL) FOR ALL STUDENTS WHO HAVE ORDERED MY BOOKS!
PLEASE ARRANGE BOOK ORDERS THROUGH YOUR FAVORITE BOOKSELLER OR THROUGH STORYSEER (SEE BELOW).
CHECK OUT MY VIRTUAL VISIT FLYER FOR PARENTS AND STUDENTS!
TO SCHEDULE A VISIT, PLEASE FILL OUT MY VIRTUAL VISIT QUESTIONNAIRE.
“Jean Reidy was too wonderful! Jean greeted students, teachers and parents with warmth and excitement. Our students, from 5-10-years-old, enjoyed her interactive presentations. It’s been two months since her visit and students are still connecting with Jean and her work. She is inspiring!”
“Sensational!! What a treat!! Students loved Jean’s visit. Their participation in a fashion show and “bop orchestra” was more than fun. With Jean, learning is always a primary companion to her delightful entertainment.”
“My kids LOVED the LIGHT UP THE NIGHT dance and detective game. Thank you for making your presentation interactive and including so many helpers. They were thrilled to participate. It was wonderful.”
“I loved that you involved the children in your presentation and the ‘wheel’ where children picked a way to enhance and change their ideas. They couldn’t wait to write!”
“Thank you sooooooooooooo much for giving our students such an amazing look into one of your books and connecting it to what they are learning in the classroom! You were all the talk in the hallways after the programs! It was so wonderful to see our students so excited about a book! I just can’t thank you enough!!”
“Once again, you were just wonderful with my students. They were enthralled and so excited about meeting you. It was a great experience for them and for me too.”
“I really enjoyed the visit! It was fun and engaging. The kids really enjoyed it and kept asking me to read your books and wanted to read them during DEAR time.”
“Thank you SO much for your interactive visit today. It was fantastic! Our students loved it and talked about it all day. One of my students said that after hearing you talk about how some of our students might want to write or illustrate, he’s decided to become an illustrator. How great is that? 🙂 The Skype visit was kid-friendly and perfectly geared for us. The students were very excited to meet you. It was just a perfect way to start our day! Thank you!!!”
“This is the best author’s visit we’ve had so far.”
All curriculum guides contain author interviews! Also, did you know that ALL THROUGH MY TOWN was adopted by The Tennessee Department of Education as part of their literacy/social studies curriculum?
- TOO PURPLEY! Curriculum Guide
- TOO PURPLEY! Coloring Pages
- TOO PICKLEY! Curriculum Guide
- TOO PRINCESSY! Curriculum Guide
- TIME OUT FOR MONSTERS! Curriculum Guide
- ALL THROUGH MY TOWN Curriculum Guide
- BUSY BUILDERS, BUSY WEEK! Curriculum Guide and Storytime Kit
- PUP 681: A SEA OTTER RESCUE STORY Curriculum and Storytime Guide
- TRUMAN Curriculum and Storytime Guide
- WHEN THE SNOW IS DEEPER THAN MY BOOTS ARE ALL Curriculum and Storytime Guide
- WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN A BOOK ABOUT YOU? Curriculum and Storytime Guide
- WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN A BOOK ABOUT YOU? Graduation Kit
- WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN A BOOK ABOUT YOU? Storytime Activity Pages
- LIGHT UP THE NIGHT Curriculum Guide
- LIGHT UP THE NIGHT Coloring Page
- LIGHT UP THE NIGHT Full Color Poster with Activities
- LIGHT UP THE NIGHT Word Search Puzzle
- LIGHT UP THE NIGHT Scale of the Universe Exploration Activity
- LIGHT UP THE NIGHT Measuring the Universe Exploration Activity
- Breaking Down the Book: A Kid-Friendly Guide to Writing Bomb-Diggity Book Reviews and Book Reports
I'm a Proud Member of:
- The Colorado Council International Reading Association
- The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
- Jean supports equity and inclusivity in the world of books and beyond. She is not available for any book events that discriminate against marginalized or underrepresented people, either on the page or off.
- Get the latest news on workshops, appearances, new books, contests, and more!
- Here’s excellent advice on “Finding Funding for School Visits.”