Lately, I’ve been getting loads of requests for Picture Book manuscript critiques. I’m honored and I love to do them.
So in an attempt to balance my reading with my writing, I’ve decided to host a Picture Book Peek Week during which time I’ll offer free critiques of select PB manuscripts – including those wretched rhymers (Yup, 3 of my upcoming PBs are written in verse!). Hopefully, it will work out so well, I’ll be able to do this several times a year.
The first one begins June 8th. Here’s how it will work:
1. You may sign up for critique by entering your working PB title in the comment section of this post beginning 12:00 Noon Eastern Time on June 8th. Titles submitted before then will not be considered. Critiques will be granted to the first 7 unique authors to enter titles.
2. Manuscripts must be 1000 words or less.
3. For this Peek Week, I will only accept fiction.
4. Level of detail in the critique will vary based on my impression of the caliber of the writing.
5. Please understand that I’m not an editor and will not be providing line-editing of your work. My critique will be comprised of suggestions for improving your manuscript. So please send me your most polished piece.
6. The 7 critique winners may e-mail me their manuscripts as a Word attachment. Manuscripts will be kept completely private. When I receive the manuscripts, I’ll let the authors know when they can expect my critique.
7. As with any art form, likes and dislikes are entirely subjective. Please understand that my critiques are only one reader’s/writer’s opinion. It’s always wise to seek feedback from a few different readers. If my ideas resonate with you, they’re yours to use. If you disagree, I encourage you to compare my comments with those of other readers. But in the end, it’s your book. Stay true to your vision.
I’m looking forward to reading your work.